1. We went to Target this morning and among other things got Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was only $20 (not even on sale). I'm going to be sitting on the couch a lot the next few days recovering from surgery so it will be nice to have something fun to play.
2. I got my hair cut today. I like the way my hair looks at the length it had gotten to, but it's such a pain and always sticking out weird, so it's short again now.
3. Carla made super delicious curry chicken salad for dinner.
4. Although it always makes me sad to throw away the kitties' beloved cardboard boxes, I got rid of like four of them today and the house looks much tidier (they still have like six).
5. Jasper was such a sweetie today, but sadly I didn't get any pictures of him, so here's one from the other day. I swear he's bigger than this already.
It's so much easier to do these posts on a regular basis when I've actually been doing some reading! XD
What are you currently reading? Currently reading Arsenic for Tea, the second of the Wells & Wong Mysteries. I'm about halfway through with it and enjoying it just as much as the first one.
I'm also reading (though only just started) The Mayor of Castro Street, a biography of Harvey Milk by Randy Shilts. This is one I've had on my shelf for aaaaaages, so it will be good to finally get it read!
What did you recently finish reading? I finished Their Eyes Were Watching God earlier this week. I didn't love it, but that's really no fault of the book itself; the basic story (woman finds herself and true love after two failed marriages) is just not one that really grabs me. What made it interesting was the setting. Anyway, it's definitely a classic for a reason and I'm glad I read it.
What do you think you'll read next? Well, I'll probably finish Arsenic for Tea tomorrow or Saturday and I guess I'll probably read the third book next.
1. I was at work for like eleven hours and then came home and did more work and still have work to do tomorrow, because there are so many last minute things! But that's it, for two weeks I am officially Not At Work. It's going to be super weird. I've never taken off more than two days in a row, so I know I'm going to be super antsy about it.
Apparently Musume no Iede is ending in Japan this month and will have six volumes total. I'm sad to hear it's ending, but as we're only just starting volume three here, we'll still be going for a while longer!
Title: Musume no Iede Original Title: 娘の家出 (Musume no Iede) Author: Shimura Takako Publisher: Jump X Genre: Seinen Status in Japan: 6 volumes, complete Scanlator:Megchan's Scanlations + muge Scanlation Status: Ongoing More Info:Baka Updates
Summary: When Mayuko's mom announces she's getting remarried, Mayuko runs away to live with her dad and his boyfriend. This heartwarming slice-of-life series follows Mayuko and her family and friends as their stories interweave.
Chapter Summary: Last chapter saw Haruna get her hair cut like the model Araki Rena, and this chapter we follow Rena herself.
1. I sliced my thumb with a cat food can lid this morning, but after having a bandaid on all day it seems to have healed up pretty well. Which is good, because I hate having bandaids on my fingers. It's always awkward and I have to wash my hands so many times during the day that it just makes things so complicated and annoying (all day today I was washing my hands while carefully trying to keep the top half of my thumb out of the water).
2. I went out to eat with some coworkers after work tonight and had a lot of fun. We went to a yakitori place nearby and everything was super tasty. Also someone else paid for it, so that was extra nice.
3. Chloe and Jasper were sleeping cutely on the back of the sofa when I came home tonight, but sadly when I tried to take a picture, I couldn't get it so you could make out any of Jasper's features. :( So instead have a cutie Molly from the other day.
1. Had a pretty nice day off. I slept in and lazed about and read a lot and got some translating done, too.
2. Speaking of reading, I finished another book today! That's three so far this year, which is pretty exciting.
3. It's been four weeks since we brought Jasper home and he has fully integrated. I do hope he eventually cuddles with Molly more, but they have slept together a few times and she overall seems pretty comfortable with him around. As for him and Chloe, well, she probably wishes he didn't want to play quite as much as he does, but they are best buds. They wrestle and chase all the time and they also cuddle up and sleep together.
1. Day off tomorrow! I feel like Tuesday and Wednesday are probably going to be pretty stressful, trying to make sure everything is really taken care of and ready for me to be gone from work for two weeks. D: So it's kind of tempting to go in tomorrow or Thursday, but I'm not going to.
2. I was worried the store might be a little slow today because of the super bowl, but it was pretty busy and sales were good.
3. Look at this cutie, showing off her snootie snoot and toe beans!
1. The other day when we went to Target I found some really comfy house pants on clearance, and today Carla went to a different Target and they had some more so she got me another pair. :D
2. Target also had Mountain Dew Voltage, which is my favorite flavor but very hard to find here. Carla saw it all over the place when she was visiting her folks in the midwest, but it's so rare here, especially the twelve-pack cans, which is my ideal container/size.
1. Well, I was not expecting to have Himegoto ready to post tonight, considering I just finished translating last night, but by coincidence Migeru was working on the cleaning right then, too, so she was able to just do the typesetting right away and now it's posted!
2. Today is payday, and I also had that tax return money, so I paid all the bills, including paying off one of the credit cards. Now we're down to just $4500 in credit card debt on two cards, and I'll be able to knock those down a lot faster now that there aren't these other smaller cards.
3. I've never been a huge concert-goer (as much as I love them), but I used to go to at least one or two a year until I started this job and the combination of not being freelance and not having a car made it much harder to fit concerts into my schedule. But now my schedule is a lot more flexible and I do have a car and I make enough money that I don't feel guilty about spending it on stuff like this, so I have decided that this year I want to get back to seeing more artist I like live.
And apparently a lot of people I like are playing in this area in the next few months because suddenly I'm seeing three shows in three weeks at the end of March/beginning of April! Puffy (the Japanese band), Panic at the Disco, and now this morning I bought a ticket for The New Pornographers. :D I was also interested in Queen with Adam Lambert, but it's at the Hollywood Bowl and the cheapest tickets are like $70 and while I like Queen and I like Adam Lambert, I'm not sure if I want to pay $70 for it, so I decided to pass (and then the next day the email for New Pornographers showed up in my inbox and that was like half the price, so yay).
4. We got more rain! It looks like it's supposed to rain off and on for the next few days, too.
5. Carla stopped at Trader Joe's tonight and got these super delicious quadruple almond cookies. They're made with almond flour, have almond flavoring and almond oil, and also have almond chunks. They are sooooooo good. *_*
6. I love the long-suffering look on Chloe's face:
ETA: It seems I was missing a page in chapter 92. I reuploaded the file and also uploaded the page by itself here for those who need it.
Title: Himegoto Original Title: ヒメゴト～十九歳の制服～ (Himegoto~Juukyuu Sai no Seifuku~) Author: Minenami Ryou Publisher: Big Comics Genre: Seinen Status in Japan: 8 volumes, complete Scanlator:Megchan's Scanlations feat. Migeru Scanlation Status: Ongoing More Info:Baka Updates
Summary: This is the story of three college freshmen with secrets: Yuki, aka Yoshiki, a boyish girl who gets off on wearing her old high school uniform skirt; Mikako, who acts innocent around her classmates, but at night pretends to be a 15-year-old and has sex for money; and finally there's Kaito, who's obsessed with Mikako to the point of dressing up like her.
Chapter Summary: Mikako tries to patch things up with Yuki.
1. I'm going to try and get as much stuff translated this next week as possible, since I don't know how much I'll be able to do later in the month, and although I didn't do as much today as I'd hoped (I never do), I did translate three chapters of Himegoto, so I can cross that off the list for the month. :D
2. I read a whole book in four days! That was pretty exciting.
What are you currently reading? Currently still reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, which I hadn't picked up in a while but did read several chapters of it last night. I'm just about halfway through now.
What did you recently finish reading? I finished Raising Steam! Finally! Wow, what a slog. Considering it has my favorite character (Moist) and is my favorite type of Discworld story (new technology), it's sad to say this is probably my least favorite Discworld novel and I would only recommend reading it for completeness' sake. I have heard that the final Tiffany Aching book was better edited, so I do think I'll give that a go at some point, but reading this just made me sad for Pratchett and sad for Discworld that this was the last book in such a great series. Even setting aside the fact that his illness was almost certainly affecting his writing skills, it just feels so much like an early draft.
Once I no longer had that hanging over my head, I dove right into a new book and ended up finishing it up in just four days! That book was Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens. It's the first book in a murder mystery series set in a 1930s English boarding school. The narrator, Hazel Wong, is from Hong Kong and has been sent to boarding school in England. She and her best friend Daisy Wells have formed their own detective society, but until the mysterious death of one of their teachers, they've never had a real mystery to solve. I really enjoyed this a lot and have already loaded up the next book on my phone.
What do you think you'll read next? Finish up Their Eyes Were Watching God (I'm going to try and read a bit each day; as it's a physical book rather than ebook, it's easier to neglect it) and read Arsenic for Tea, the next Wells & Wong mystery.
1. I've been checking my bank account fairly regularly to see when the federal tax return hits and when I checked this morning it was there! It's also payday tomorrow, so at this rate I'm just going to wait until my paycheck goes in, too, and do all the bill-paying at once, but that credit card is all but paid off!
2. It's my day off tomorrow and other than going out to brunch with my mom, I don't have any other plans and am looking forward to just relaxing and hopefully getting some translation done.
3. Since Monday we've been keeping the bedroom door open a bit on and off during the day and so far no accidents from Jasper, so I think we're okay on that front. However, I think we're going to keep the door closed at night for a little while longer. Chloe seemed happy to be able to get back in the bedroom and burrow under the covers for a nap this evening (and Jasper was curled up next to her on top of the covers, confused as to why he could smell a sister (and feel her when he jumped on that sister-shaped lump under the blanket) but couldn't see her).
4. Today Jasper and Chloe were cuddling again and then he took it a step further and started grooming her! Carla got some video and it's super cute!
1. I'm going to see Panic at the Disco in March! I just happened to see an email from Ticketmaster this morning announcing that they're playing in LA and I was like, well, I do really like their recent stuff... So I bought it. :D Now that I have a car, I should take advantage of that and get back into the habit of going to concerts more often.
2. I did some translating tonight on a couple back-burner projects. They're way down low on the priority list not just because they're one-shots, but because the person who's typesetting them is super busy and so far behind on other stuff we're working on that there's no reason to hurry, so I just work on them here and there when I have time, and the last day of the month, when I've got all my other monthly stuff done, is the perfect time for that.
3. I had to go back into work tonight like half an hour after I came home, because I'd forgotten that the person who usually orders the next day's meat and fish was out today, so nobody was there to order. Having to get dressed and go out again right after I'd changed into my comfy house clothes sucks, but it's better than the last time this happened, when I didn't remember until the middle of the night and had to go in and order then.
4. Super exciting kitty milestone! Cuddling has been achieved!
1. I got one last chapter posted before the end of the month! (Well, it's possible I could still post something tomorrow, too, as I do have several things out with typesetters, but I won't hold my breath.)
2. I trimmed Jasper's claws. They trimmed them at the pet store before we brought him home, but they got sharp again so fast! And I keep thinking about it when he's awake and wiggly (and digging his claws into me while scaling me like a mountain goat), but today I remembered while he was sleeping, and he was so conked out it was super easy.
3. Last night just a few minutes after I got home from work (but after I'd already changed into my comfy house clothes), I got a call from the security company that the alarm was going off. So I went and checked on it and everything was fine. I was worried that if it was malfunctioning I would get another call, but I never did, so I thought maybe it was just a one time thing.
Except I did get another call, at like 3:30am, and even though I was almost certain it was just malfunctioning, I couldn't relax and go back to sleep until I went and checked, so I got dressed and drove over to the store (thankfully in the middle of the night it's like less than five minutes away) and sure enough, it was nothing, so I told the security company to just ignore any further alerts.
So that sucked, but at least it wasn't actually a break-in, and I didn't have work today so I could sleep in (and ended up sleeping until almost noon, with one interruption around 6:30am to feed the cats), and the security company came out today and replaced the sensor in the area that was malfunctioning and there haven't been any calls tonight, so hopefully it's fixed.
4. We made nachos for lunch and they were sooooo delicious.
5. Carla caught the elusive Chloe tongue on film the other day.
Title: You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead Original Title: 死人との声をきくがよい (Shibito no Koe wo Kiku ga Yoi) Author: Hiyodori Sachiko (Uguisu Sachiko) Publisher: Champion Red Comics Genre: Shounen Status in Japan: 8 volumes, ongoing Scanlator:Megchan's Scanlations Scanlation Status: Ongoing More Info:Baka Updates
Summary: Sickly Kishida Jun has the ability to see ghosts, but in his opinion, it's a stupid power and nothing good ever comes of it. Considering the number of grisly situations he seems to find himself in after the ghost of his childhood friend Hayakawa Ryoko starts following him around, he may have a point.
Chapter Summary: Kishida's classmate moves into a new house haunted by the ghost of a little boy...
1. I had to fire someone today, which is never fun, but I'm really glad it's over. (It was something that had been coming for a while, not something spur of the moment, so plenty of time to dread doing it, bleh.) And I have someone new starting tomorrow to replace her, who will hopefully be much better. (This new person actually used to work at the store several years ago and was a good worker and got along well with everyone, so there shouldn't be any problems, but you never know.)
2. We took Jasper to Petco this morning for one of his shots that he still needed to get (they have a vaccination clinic every Sunday). He wasn't happy about the trip (so many sad mews in the car), but I'm glad to get that over and done with, too, and glad that the rest of the day has passed with no signs of a negative reaction to the shot itself.
3. I have tomorrow off and the only thing we need to go out and do is take Carla's computer to the Apple Store, but that's not until the evening, so I can sleep in and relax for most of the day.
4. We recently replaced a cardboard box in a kitchen cupboard that had been storing tupperware lids with a mesh basket, and of course rather than throw out the ancient cardboard box, we gave it to the cats. First it was on the dining room floor, and then for some reason got put on top of this pillow which we'd put out for them on top of another box, and Molly has been just loving that location.
1. I have to stay till closing tomorrow night, but since I know ahead of time, that means I can go in a little later. (Which is good, because we have errands to run in the morning, so I won't have to rush.)
2. I did some typesetting on You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead tonight and got about a third of it done. Considering I have Monday off, I should definitely be able to get this done in time to still qualify as posting this month.
3. Chloe and Molly were looking super cute watching "kitty TV" aka the view outside the bathroom window.
1. I posted manga, yay! Not the manga I'd hoped to post, but maybe I'll get that done tomorrow.
2. Tomorrow and Sunday are my late days, so I get to sleep in! I'm looking forward to it. :D
3. I just checked my bank account on a whim and we got our state tax refund already!
4. Jasper is such a cutie but it's so hard to take pictures of him sometimes. Carla got a cute pic of him and Molly cuddling on the sofa, but he's just a barely discernable black blob. ;_; However, I got a cute pic just now with the flash (which made him close his eyes) where you can see his stripes. (And also he's really cute.)